Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Orientalism



This is what I found in google image by typing "Orientalism Asia".

The image is an advertisement of a movie. There is an old tower which is similar to "Kin-Kakuji", the one we have in Kyoto, and an Asian woman dancing in "yukata", which is a Japanese traditional clothes (kind of like "kimono"), in the back of the half naked woman. This means that this movie is somehow related to Japan. The misapprehension here is that we did not have any houses made by bamboo around the time that people started possesing guns. Maybe this poster was the result of old people's stereotipical idea that Asian countries were still uncivilized and did not have great technology unlike Westerns.

2 comments:

francesca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
francesca said...

It's so interesting that after reading this post, it appears that Hollywood doesn't have the time or energy to do some simple research to make their advertising and films factual.
I wish I knew more details about specific cultures to be able to spot that many inaccuracies in one film poster. I know I wouldn't have picked up on many of those points just by looking at the poster, which I guess is more proof of Orientalism at work in the West.

Sorry I deleted my first comment- really big spelling error.