Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ummm....found this by typing in "yoga". I don't think yoga was meant for this purpose...

While this picture did make me laugh, and is slightly humorous, I can see how it would be offensive to those who have decided to do yoga as a spiritual or religious decision. I think it is worth noting that similarly to the NY Times cartoon we saw in class, this animal has the "wise oriental" look. ie: white beard, eyes closed in deep thought/meditation etc. I don't know what animal this is, but I am assuming that most animals do not meditate for spiritual purposes, and so this picture does thus, fall under the category of Orientalism.

2 comments:

francesca said...

I'm so glad you posted this. Although we sort of agreed in class that because it's a photo of an animal, it isn't particularly offensive, but it does go to show how casually we've come to treat other people's religious beliefs and rituals.

Tinni said...

Same thing with the fact that it's an animal, it couldn't help randomly sitting down in a yoga position, and I'm sure the person taking the picture just couldn't resist. As long as it's not being used in marketing, or pretty much anything else other than a funny picture on the internet, it's not particularly offensive... I'm sure even a practicing Buddhist could see the humor in that. But if it is used for other purposes than just to be silly, it's no different than the vodka advertisement at the top of the page, twisting the religious practice of yoga into a form of commercial.