Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Journey Matters Most

When I was little I loved to play with Barbies. While many of my other Barbie adoring friends would have their Barbies play house with Ken or play big sister with Skipper, I had my Barbies go on adventures. My Barbies would climb Mt. Everest or go dog sledding at the North Pole (mainly to visit Santa). Even when I was little I was fascinated with discovering new things and new places. When I was a bit older I was greatly disappointed to realize that there was more or less no new land to discover. I decided not to let that stop me from loving new places so I try to take advantage of every available opportunity to explore.
Every year I go to New Mexico to ski. The first place I go to the moment I arrive at the mountain is the beginning of the Honeysuckle trail, at the top of the mountain. A few years ago I climbed a hidden trail on the back of the mountain. This supposedly led to some more difficult trails and a great view. The trail itself was about 1 foot wide and was made up of minuscule indents in a mountain of ice that had been chipped into existence by the hard toes of ski boots. In order to get to the top of this trail one had to figure out a way to hold a pair of ski’s while holding two ski poles (which were entirely necessary due to sharp drop-offs, scattered with boulders and trees, on either side of the trail) while wearing ski boots and dressed in binding ski wear. Needless to say it was insanely difficult and terrifying. When I made it to the top though, it was worth it. Not only was I standing on top of a huge mountain looking out over an ineffable sight, I had just climbed a beast of a mountain. The destination wasn’t what mattered. The trip was what made the end worthwhile.
I no longer play with Barbies but I still wish I were able to be one of the first explorers of any new place. To see a sight that has never been seen before is one my goals and while I probably won’t discover a new continent I have already realized that while the destination is often what people focus on, it’s really the trip itself that matters.

2 comments:

Erin Scully said...

I really liked your essay! I know that feeling of wishing that you could be the first person to ever discover or set eyes upon a new, unfound territory. When I was little I used to always try to do things that I thought nobody else, in the entire world has done before. But I agree with you, the journey IS what matters most. Your description of the trek up the mountain sounded extremely intense and strenuous, but you really made it worth your while. You owned that mountain!

Kayla said...

Skiing in New Mexico sounds really terrifying, but at the same time really rewarding. The journey as well as the view is important! Congrats for not falling down from the top. :)