Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Traditions: Midnight Mass

A lengthy, leg-stiffening, crowded, choral service that endures into the early morning wouldn’t usually be the ideal church scenario I would picture myself in. The average service elaborated into a three-hour-long choral cavalcade, complete with each priest warbling in drooping voices every word to the extensive service, and small infants and toddlers screeching along with the choir, would absolutely not be my favorite service. But on Christmas Eve, there is no other place I’d rather be than here, at my church’s Midnight Mass.

The incomparable music composed specifically for this holiday is no doubt one huge pull that attracts the largest congregation of the year to gather at Midnight Mass. The old, classic Christian hymns like “Away in a Manger” and “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen” keep the children and less frequent church-goer’s engaged and excited, as the more seasoned members hum along to the choir’s traditional anthems, such as “Shepherd‘s Pipe Carol” and “What Sweeter Music.”
However, the universal appeal of this holiday is what makes it my favorite; everybody can join in some part at Midnight Mass. Other traditions that have been popularized, like leaving gifts at the crêche, are revealed in their original forms, uniting the first-timer’s and the old veterans in a night of celebration and good cheer. It’s a joy to watch other families see perhaps for the first time the origins of the fables and traditions that everyone hears of, but few of us truly understand today. All voices can be raised together in the well-known “Adeste Fidelis", and all can watch as the priest blesses the Child at the heart of the nativity scene, whether it’s a person’s first time at Midnight Mass or not.

However, the pivotal moment of this service lasts only a few minutes, at the very end of the night. As all the lights are turned out after communion, the choir begins to sing “Silent Night” from the choir loft, and only the candles remain to light the stone church. Crowded together in rows of wooden pews, in a small, candle-lit church, all can share an evening of generosity and good-will. The quiet flood of peace that ripples over the congregation with each word of the hymn sparks in everyone a hope for peace, and maybe for one moment all year, everyone understands the truth of Christmas together.

4 comments:

Tinni said...

Because I go to midnight mass myself, I know pretty much exactly what you mean by everything... the carols, the crying children, whatever. And it does really end up being an essential part of the Christmas Holiday, despite the at-a-glance downsides.

Jenny said...

I completely agree, Christmas is wonderful because it connects people, even if only for a moment. The moment of connection and understanding is most meaningful and the most lasting, though it is one moment in one evening. This is a really interesting take on a journey/pilgrimage and reminded me just how much I love the atmosphere the holiday can create in certain instances.

hiroko said...

Although I am not a christian, I love Christmas. Two years ago, when I was not yet sure about my personal religion, my cousins took me to their church on Christman eve and showed me their service. It started with priest talking and ended with choir singing. As the service proceeded, I saw my cousin's baby smiling and singing along to hymns happily which made me smile. I loved the idea of families getting together and celebrating the birth of their god because I believe that the oppotunity provides them better sence of connecting with god and also family.

Ms. Snyder said...

Good points, ladies. That sense of community and belonging that you all notice on Christmas, along with the added meaning the ritual gives your life, is very much why religion has served as the foundation for communities for so many centuries. And look at how the shared experience has brought all of you into conversation with each other, as well!