Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Pilgramage is a Journey

A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken for religious reasons, often with the idea that the traveler will be transformed and changed by the journey taken. Hindu pilgrimages usually consist of taking journey’s to sacred holy places. This is often done through acts of faith and devotion in accumulating merit or to atone for sins. There have been many journeys taken, whether it is for religious reasons or not. One major religious journey that was taken was my Bat Mitzvah. A Bar/Bat Mitzvah is a religious transformation in a Jewish boy/girl’s life that is remembered. Another pilgrimage not having to do with religion is Emma Willard. Hopefully, when my high school days are over a pilgrimage will be taken to the promise land – Israel.

A Bar/Bat Mitzvah is like a “pilgrimage” to a Jewish boy/girl. No, it does not consist of any traveling, but a transformation takes place. It is a time when a Jewish person becomes a Man/Women. It is a coming of age for a boy/girl. After about four years of Hebrew study they become leaders. They lead their friends, family and congregation in a Friday and Saturday Shabbat service. This leadership resembles their change in maturity. They now become responsible for their own actions. The celebration of a Bar/Bat Mitzvah also coincides with physical puberty. This is when the children bear their own responsibility for Jewish ritual, law, and tradition. They are now the only ones accountable for their continuation to practice Judaism. I consider this pilgrimage one of the best celebrations in my life that changed and transformed me.

I feel as if not only high school in general, but Emma Willard has been a Pilgrimage. No it is not religious, but some consider the Emma Willard community to be a “religion.” The main point is that during these four years a young adult is learning about themselves and the ones around them as they travel through time. They are deciding what they want to do with their lives and how they are going to approach their dreams. It’s a time when they truly decide their ethics and morals. A time when they break off from their parents and venture out on their own. I feel as if usually it would be college, but attending Emma Willard is different. It gives you a completely different outlook on life about equality and an early outlook on independence. These four years at Emma Willard have been a time of transformation for me, and I now feel ready and confident to venture out to the complicated world surrounding me.

My Bat Mitzvah and Emma Willard are two pilgrimages that I consider journeys. During these Journeys I have come to learn what is truly important in life and I am continuing to transform myself into the person I want to be. In the near future a trip to Israel will be necessary. This trip is important to me as well as other Jews. It is where our nationalism lies. Traveling to Israel will give me a different perspective and outlook on the Jewish religion, which may in turn transform my beliefs. Israel is a sacred holy place that I someday hope to visit.

1 comment:

francesca said...

I thought college would be the ultimate journey in my life at that point, but I totally agree that Emma has been a huge journey; one that I wasn't expecting to have to endure as a freshman. I really like how you described the process of going through Emma, and of becoming the person you want to be. And I hope you get to go to Israel!