Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Journey/Pilgrimage

A pilgrimage is traditionally a journey embarked upon to a specific place for religious reasons. When a young person embarks on a journey, it is not always to an actual place, but still holds special meaning for people. Regardless of the fact that ones journey or pilgrimage may be religious, to all people a journey is usually life changing and holds immense meaning. Whether it is personal or religious, journeys have a great impact on people. A journey and a pilgrimage are both very special to those who set out on them.

One of the most transforming journeys in my life was my Bat Mitzvah. It symbolizes the transformation from a child to an adult in the Jewish community. This is important for many reasons; it marks ones obligation to observe the commandments given by God, to form binding contracts, to testify before religious courts and to marry, and the Bar or Bat Mitzvah is now counted in minyan (the minimum number of those needed to perform the religious services).

At the age of eleven my journey began, at least that is what I thought. My journey began with lessons to learn my haftorah once a week, as well as the promise to practice for at least an hour every day. In order to master one’s haftorah and other parts of the service one will be leading, it is necessary to start one’s study a year in advance. One has to learn not only to read the Hebrew, but the proper way to chant each word. Also one has to prepare a speech describing what has taken place in the Torah reading. All of my hard work would culminate on January 4, 2003, a day much anticipated. I had gone to Hebrew school about twice a week for 6 or so years, I have discovered now that this was actually the beginning of my journey. I felt I was definitely ready to take on the responsibility as a Jewish adult. By studying hard and observing my Rabbi, my parents, my sister and my congregation, I grew to learn everything that entailed becoming a Bat Mitzvah. It is hard to describe the impact my Bat Mitzvah had on me, the feelings and emotions that I encountered were intense, a feeling I had never felt before. Sometimes I wish that I could experience that day over and over again.

Although my journey has not physically taken me anywhere, it took me to new levels of spirituality and belief. By becoming a Bat Mitzvah I have been transformed into a Jewish adult, someone who is respected in the Jewish community. I have been taken to a higher level of religious belief and can now study and understand more about Hebrew and the Jewish religion than before. I hope someday to actually physically make a pilgrimage to Israel to complete my transformation. I believe that this pilgrimage will give me a more heightened sense of religion than I have already attained

1 comment:

Goodwomen said...

I agree with many things you have said. My batmitzvah was also a pilgramage for me as well. It is a time when you are learning more about yourself and what you are capable of doing. It challenges the mind to be sophisticated at a young age. It was extremly hard but it was extremly fun as well!